Bike Argentina (for Adults)
About the Andean northwest of Argentina
Visit Argentina in its purist form, unyoked from the rituals of mass tourism. Spend two weeks experiencing the cuisine, culture and breathtaking scenery of northern Argentina from the seat of a bike.
Beginning in the city of Salta, Argentina's most stunning colonial city, you will cycle on lesser travelled paved roads winding through canyons, a cluster of vineyards, Andes mountain landscapes and wild rivers. The trip length is approximately 450 km ending in the town of Yerba Buena in the province of Tucuman. The trip includes 12 nights of accommodation in country estates, B&B’s and family run hostels; three sight-seeing days in Salta, Cafayate and Tafi de Valle; all group meals, and pre-trip support and instruction for getting ready.
Mention Salta to an Argentine, and the response is often the following: "Ah, Salta the Beautiful." That this northern province isn't better known to the rest of the world is an injustice. The road south from the province's eponymous capital to Cafayate, home to a cluster of vineyards, boasts breathtaking scenery, with cliffs of many hues shaped by water and wind. With the addition of tasty food and a rich musical tradition, the place should not be missed. Written by Daniel Altman, New York Times, July 2, 2006. Two Wheel View brings 15 years of experience cycling this route.
Read John Larsen’s featured article, Cycling Argentina’s Northern Provinces, for a perspective on his trip there with TWV in 2011.
Northern Argentina Scenery
The northwestern provinces of Salta and Tucuman in Argentina feature traces of pre-Columbian cultures, mingled with ruins of indigenous villages, together with forts and buildings dating back to the time of the Conquest and Colonization. This region is very rich in archaeological remains. In Cafayate, where you will have two days to explore, Spanish traditions and customs are still kept in the art, architecture, as well as religious images. Time seems to have come to a halt in the high plateau regions, a land bound by mountain ranges, steep mountain paths and gorges. Villages have been built in hollows in the ground. Multi-colored and monochromatic hills, covered on the slopes with huge cactuses, surround the villages. This region allows you to enjoy landscapes full of contrast, from the high peaks to the plains, with the salt pans and the subtropical rain forests, where Latin American culture took root.
Note: Your participation on this trip supports the mission of Two Wheel View. A portion of your program fee is eligible for a charitable tax receipt.
Managing the details | What is Included
Two Wheel View will manage all the trip arrangements including: safety and supervision, coordination of airline tickets, bicycles and equipment, coordination of activities, accommodation, all meals, and experienced trip leaders. This trip includes:
- Experienced ride leaders and safety throughout the trip
- Pre-trip orientation material and support
- Travel and flight coordination
- 7 days biking (450 km total) bicycle and touring equipment included
- Coordination of activities
- All equipment: bicycle, camping gear and touring equipment
- All meals and accommodations (drinks not included)
- 3 sight seeing days in Salta, Cafayate, and Tafi de Valle
- 11 nights in hotels/B&Bs
Start | End
START | Salta, Argentina: Salta is a provincial capital in mountainous northwestern Argentina. Founded in 1582, it’s known for its Spanish colonial architecture and Andean heritage.
END| Yerba Buena (San Miguel de Tucuman), Argentina: Yerba Buena is the capital of the Yerba Buena Department in the province of Tucumán, Argentina. The city of Yerba Buena is the most urbanized area of the department. It is mostly residential, although commercial activity has increased along its main road (Aconquija Avenue) with different kind of shops, shopping arcades, restaurants, and cafés. The main avenue has is lively, especially on weekends, when “Yerbabuenenses” and people from its neighboring cities gather in search of fun and relaxation.
As a part of the Two Wheel View bike trip experience, you will:
- Prepare for their adventure through Two Wheel View’s unique pre-trip orientation sessions that includes bike mechanics, team building, and fun.
- Discover new cultures and natural landscapes.
- Stay connected after the trip through social media and events hosted by Two Wheel View.
- Cycle on lesser travelled paved roads winding through canyons, a cluster of vineyards, Andes mountain landscapes and wild rivers
- Explore Spanish tradition and culture in the art and architecture
- Go back in time among the ruins of indigenous villages dating back to the time of the Conquest and Colonization.
- Visit local artisans
- Practice your Spanish while shopping for regional delicacies
- Experience the benefits of travel by bicycle
More about the trip:
- Cycle the Andean northwest of Argentina
- Small group
- Room arrangements: The cost of the trip is based on shared rooms – usually two to a room. Separate rooms are available for an additional cost at some of the locations. Availability is based on our group size and other factors. Separate room requests will be handled on a first come first serve basis.
- Difficulty: Undulating terrain with some bigger hills that are challenging
This trip is for you if:
- You are relatively fit and are comfortable with riding some hills that are on average less than half a mile in length.
- You like to ride your bike on vacations, but not every day.
- You can ride 30mi/50km on average and up to 50mi/85km on a long day.
Highlights from Previous Expeditions
Two Wheel View operates in a select handful of the most wonderful regions in the world - Argentina has been one of our most popular destinations for numerous reasons including, great food, interesting culture, incredible biking, beautiful landscapes, and welcoming people. Two Wheel View programs focus on adventurous, active, environmental and educational opportunities. You will get to meet locals that will provide you interesting, accurate, and helpful knowledge about this region.